Joel Meyerowitz Talk

I had the most superb evening a couple of weeks back, when Joel Meyerowitz gave a talk at The Photographers Gallery in London to mark the launch of his retrospective book Taking My Time. Not only was Joel extremely engaging (and his work incredible - some of which I have displayed below), but I was rather taken aback by how personable he was - no ego, just a thoroughly approachable, gentle man who had an almost 'zen-like' calmness about him.

I got the opportunity to have a brief chat with him (and he kindly signed a print that I have of one his images); there was a rather surreal moment when I found myself talking about the quality of light in London that evening (it was a beautiful golden evening, with long shadows) with one of the world's most respected photographers and I had to pinch myself.

Having already spent the afternoon looking through the exhibitions in The Photographers Gallery (the Deutsche Borse Photography Prize 2012 was being displayed with some stunning images from Pieter Hugo, Rinko Kawauchi, John Stezaker and Christopher Williams), including a chance to indulge in the Japanese Photobooks 'installation', it made for a fantastic photographic feast of a day.

Joel Meyerowitz











Rinko Kawauchi






Pieter Hugo