Unusual Forms of Inspiration

It has been an incredibly hard couple of weeks in terms of workload. I seem to have done an inordinate amount of reading, but little picture-taking, which is rather frustrating. However, I have set aside some time this week to get out and work on some of my projects.

Aside from reading David Hurn's book (see previous post) and researching for my essay on Martin Parr, most of my reading has been for my Masters degree in HRD and Performance Management. I have an essay to write for next month on Learning Organisations and the research has taken up a great deal of my time. However, time learning is never wasted and you never know where inspiration reveals itself sometimes, which can cross subjects and disciplines. I was reading an article by Pak Tee Ng (2004) called The Learning Organisation and the Innovative Organisation, when I happened upon a couple of sentences that summed up the strive for the perfect photographic image:

"Glamour is associated only with the occasional success; failed experiments are the silent majority. Failure is one of the biggest struggles an individual will face in his efforts to be innovative. It takes personal mastery for this individual to keep on trying until he is successful."

The importance of learning, and of striving to be better at everything we do, is as important in business as it is photography or indeed any subject - including life in general!